Why is it so important?
It is one very important safety element of the efficiency of your car’s braking system. It is quite definitely also one of the most neglected items of the car and can normally can only be found wanting during heavy emergency or downhill braking circumstances. By that time it’s often too late!
What does brake fluid do?
- Transmits the force you apply to the brake pedal into hydraulic pressure to activate all the brake components on each wheel, which in turn will apply the brakes to stop the car.
- Has a very high boiling temperature to withstand the heat generated during emergency or downhill braking. If the fluid boils, the braking efficiency is dramatically reduced.
- Has a very low temperature freezing point allowing safe operation in extreme cold.
Why do I need Huttons Fiat to change my brake fluid?
- During two years brake fluid will naturally absorb water from the atmosphere. The longer the car is unused the quicker this is likely to occur. This reduces the effectiveness of the brake fluid and allows the possibility of micro corrosion of the internal brake system parts to occur, which ultimately may lead to partial or total brake failure.
- Once the water content rises to 3% and above, the performance of the braking system becomes compromised.
- Water significantly reduces the boiling point of the fluid, air bubbles are created and braking can become much less ineffective.
- You will only normally be aware of the problem after heavy braking as the brakes become spongy and less effective but that might be too late!
- This is not a job for inexperienced people to carry out, despite it appearing to be simple.
Checking the brake fluid
Check the fluid in the reservoir located in the engine bay. If the fluid is below the “MIN” level or the brake warning light comes on, add brake fluid up to the “MAX” line. If brake fluid has to be added frequently the system has to be thoroughly checked because it may have developed a leak. If in any doubt what so ever, ask Huttons advice. If your brake fluid has not been checked for over a year then it is best practice to measure the boiling point of the fluid. Huttons Fiat has the specialist equipment necessary to carry out these checks in in minutes.
Why use a Fiat recommended brake fluid?
Huttons Fiat always has the correct specification of brake fluid available and the expertise necessary to ensure your car has the correct fluid.
When should I have my brake fluid changed?
It is strongly recommended that your vehicle’s brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever is sooner). Absolutely essential if you live in or plan a holiday in mountainous areas, drive on a race track fun day or you have a motorhome.